The notion of Cyber Physical System refers to Connecting Sensors, Actuators and Controllers of the control loop via a network. In this project, we strive to design a controller and network resource management unit separately, but still they exchange requirements capabilities and configurations messages. The project particularly give intention to wireless communications, where the network users are connected inside a wireless cell that is managed by radio resource management unit. One of the main challenges would be, given the limited data rate, delays and erroneous transmission, how can one guarantee safe and reliable operation of the system controlled visa wireless network?
- Determine the feasibility and desirability of a close, information-exchange-driven cooperation between controllers and network resource management.
- Develop architectural models (including interfaces, data formats, and protocol deﬁnitions) for this integration, ensuring modularity and generality rather than problem-speciﬁc design.
- Develop core algorithms for this architecture, e.g., compression of diversity-based network capabilities meaningful for control, controllers which make best use of and adapt to changing network capabilities.
- Integrate prediction techniques, for both control demand and channel state, in the overall system design.
- Evaluate the resulting architecture and algorithms by analysis and simulation
The Computer Network Research Group of Paderborn University mainly involved.
Work Package 1
Study capacity regions for control applications; translate results to industrial control communication standards; setup the simulation environment for the network part
Work Package 2
- Design an algorithm to compute conﬁguration options from channel state information. Provide compact representations to use between resource management and controller. Evaluate networking aspects of overall design.
- Modeling techniques, resource management/scheduling algorithms and tradeoff analysis (likely, simulation-based) for controller-suitable QoS speciﬁcations.
Work Package 3
- Design and evaluation of techniques to adapt the presentation of options to the controller, based on both implicit and explicit information obtained from the controller. Detailed design and evaluation of the interaction between controller and resource manager, integration of the resulting transmission decisions into actual communication protocols. Extensive evaluation of the resulting overall system.