Eyke Hüllermeier is a full professor in the Department of Computer Science at Paderborn University, Germany, where he heads the Intelligent Systems Group. He graduated in mathematics and business computing, received his PhD in computer science from the University of Paderborn in 1997, and a Habilitation degree in 2002. Prior to returning to Paderborn in 2014, he spent two years as a Marie Curie fellow at the Institut de Recherche en Informatique de Toulouse (IRIT) in France (1998-2000) and held professorships at the Universities of Marburg (2002-04), Dortmund (2004), Magdeburg (2005-06) and again Marburg (2007-14).
His research interests are centered around methods and theoretical foundations of artificial intelligence, with a specific focus on machine learning and reasoning under uncertainty. He has published more than 300 articles on these topics in top-tier journals and major international conferences, and several of his contributions have been recognized with scientific awards. Professor Hüllermeier is Co-Editor-in-Chief of Fuzzy Sets and Systems, one of the leading journals in the field of Computational Intelligence, and serves on the editorial board of several other journals, including Machine Learning, the International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, and the IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems. He is a coordinator of the EUSFLAT working group on Machine Learning and Data Mining and head of the IEEE CIS Task Force on Machine Learning.
- Co-Editor-in-Chief of Fuzzy Sets and Systems (Elsevier)
- Member of the editorial board of several international journals, including Machine Learning (action editor), Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, International Journal of Approximate Reasoning, Advances in Data Analysis and Classification (associate editor).
- General Chair of ECDA-2018, European Conference on Data Analysis, Paderborn, July 2018. General Chair of DA2PL-2016, EURO Mini Conference From Multiple Criteria Decision Aid to Preference Learning, Paderborn, Germany. PC Co-Chair of PAIS-2016, Conference on Prestigious Applications of Intelligent Systems (colocated with ECAI, European Conference on Artificial Intelligence). PC Co-Chair of ICCBR-2015, 23rd International Conference on Case-based Reasoning, Frankfurt, Germany. PC Co-Chair of ECML/PKDD-2014, European Conference on Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Nancy, France. PC Co-Chair of DS-2013, 16th Int. Conf. on Discovery Science, Singapore, October 6-9, 2013. Area Chair of ECML/PKDD-2015, European Conference in Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Porto, September 7-11, 2015. Area Chair of ECML/PKDD-2013, European Conference in Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Prague, September 23-27, 2013. PC Co-Chair of SUM-2012, 6th Int. Conf. on Scalable Uncertainty Management, Marburg, Germany, September 17-19, 2012. Area Chair of ECML/PKDD-2012, European Conference in Machine Learning and Principles and Practice of Knowledge Discovery in Databases, Bristol, UK, September 24-28, 2012. Area Chair of AAAI-2013, 27th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Bellevue, Washington, USA, July 14-18, 2013. Area Chair of AAAI-2012, 26th AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Toronto, Canada, July 22-26, 2012. General Chair of IPMU-2010, 13th Int. Conf. of Information Processing and Management of Uncertainty in Knowledge-Based Systems, Dortmund, Germany, June 28 - July 2, 2010. Area Chair of ICML-2010, 27th International Conference on Machine Learning, Haifa, Israel, 2010.
- Keynote Talks: "Statistics and Machine Learning: Two Sides of the Same Coin?". Conference of the German Statistical Society. Rostock, Germany, 2017 || "Learning from Imprecise Data". 14th European Conference on Symbolic and Quantitative Approaches to Reasoning with Uncertainty (ECSQARU) and 10th International Symposium on Imprecise Probability: Theories and Applications (ISIPTA), Lugano, Switzerland, 2017 || "Large-Scale Machine Learning and Extreme Classification", International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies, CoDIT-2017, Barcelona, Spain, 2017 || "Superset Learning and Data Imprecisiation", TFML-2017, Theoretical Foundations of Machine Learning, Krakow, Poland, 2017 || "Large-Scale Machine Learning: Sparse Probability Estimation for Extreme Classification", SUM-2016, 10th International Conference on Scalable Uncertainty Management, Nice, France, 2016 || "Preference Learning: Machine Learning meets Preference Modeling"", MDAI-2015, Modeling Decisions for Artificial Intelligence, Skövde, Sweden, 2015 || "Preferences in Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning", PFIA-2015, French Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Rennes, France, 2015 || "Uncertainty in Machine Learning: From Weak Supervision to Reliable Prediction", ICAISC-2015, International Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing, Zakopane, Poland, 2015 || "Preference-based Online Learning with Bandit Algorithms", Theoretical Foundations of Machine Learning, TFML-2015, Bedlewo, Poland, 2015 || "Preference Learning: Methods and Algorithms for Ranking Problems". IEEE International Conference on Intelligent Systems, IS--2014, Warsaw, Poland, 2014 || "Learning from Imprecise and Fuzzy Data: On the Notion of Data Disambiguation". International Conference on Soft Methods in Probability and Statistics, SMPS--2014, Warsaw, Poland, 2014 || "Preference Learning: Methods and Algorithms for Ranking Problems". International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, ICMLC-2014, Lanzhou, China, 2014 || "Learning from Imprecise and Fuzzy Data: On the Notion of Data Disambiguation". International Joint Conference on Computational Intelligence, IJCCI-2013, Faro, Portugal, 2013 || "Preference Learning using Statistical Models for Label Ranking", European Conference on Data Analysis, ECDA-2013, Luxembourg, 2013 || "Fuzzy Systems Modeling: Development, Critique, and New Directions". International Conference on Control, Decision and Information Technologies, CoDIT-2013, Hammamet, Tunisia || "Fuzzy Logic in Machine Learning". International Symposium on Computational Intelligence and Design, ISCID-2012, Hangzhou, China, 2012 || "Learning from Label Preferences", 14th International Conference on Discovery Science, Espoo, Finland, October 2011 (jointly with J. Fürnkranz) || "Fuzzy Logic in Machine Learning", 10th Brazilian Symposium on Intelligent Automation, Sao Joao del-Rei, Brazil, September 2011 || "Fuzzy Logic in Machine Learning and Data Analysis", 4th International Conference on Fuzzy Information and Engineering, Amol, Iran, October 2010 || "Fuzzy Rule Induction and Related Problems: A Case for Genetic Search?", Fourth International Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems, Mieres, Spain, March 2010 || "Fuzzy Pattern Trees for Quality Assessment: Conception and Model Construction", International Conference on Integrated Systems, Design and Technology, Siegen, Germany, June 2010 || "Preference Learning, Ranking, and Similarity Retrieval", Eighth International Conference on Flexible Query Answering Systems, Roskilde, Denmark, October 2009 || "Learning Valued Preference Structures: Toward an Alternative Decision-Theoretic Framework for Machine Learning", Lernen-Wissen-Adaption, Darmstadt, Germany, September 2009 || "Preference Learning", EUROFUSE Workshop Preference Modelling and Decision Analysis, Pamplona, Spain, September 2009 || "Fuzzy Logic in Machine Learning", IFSA/EUSFLAT-2009, World Congress of the International Fuzzy Systems Association, Lisbon, July 2009 || "Graph-Based Modeling and Algorithms in Structural Bioinformatics", Workshop Algorithmen und Komplexität, GI Jahrestagung 2009, Lübeck, October 2009 || "Fuzzy Logic in Machine Learning", 30th Linz Seminar on Fuzzy Set Theory, Linz, Austria, February 2009 || "Credible Case-Based Inference Using Similarity Profiles", International Conference on Case-Based Reasoning, Belfast, Northern Ireland, August 2007 || "Learning by Pairwise Comparison: Classification, Ranking, and Related Problems", Dutch-Belgian Conference on Machine Learning, Ghent, Belgium, May 2006 || "Preference Learning", French Conference on Fuzzy Logic and Its Applications, Toulouse, France, October 2006 || "A Systematic Approach to the Assessment of Fuzzy Association Rules", Workshop on Alternative Techniques for Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery, Brighton, UK, November 2004 || "Fuzzy Methods in Knowledge Discovery", 8th International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Dortmund, Germany, October 2004.
- Invited Tutorials: "A Survey of Preference-based Online Learning with Bandit Algorithms", ALT–2014, International Conference on Algorithmic Learning Theory, Bled, Solvenia, 2014 || "Preference Learning" (jointly with J. Fürnkranz), ECAI–2012, 20th European Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Montpellier, France || "Preference Learning", ADT–2011, 2nd International Conference on Algorithmic Decision Theory, Rutgers University, New Jersey, USA.
- Coordinator of the EUSFLAT working group on Machine Learning and Data Mining (DAMI).
- Board member of the German Classification Society (GfKl) .
Head of the IEEE/CIS ETTC Task Force on Machine Learning
Co-organizer: Dagstuhl-Seminar on "Preference Learning", Workshop on "Preference Learning: Problems and Applications in AI" at ECAI-2012, Workshop on "Preference Learning" at ECML/PKDD-2010, Workshop on "Preference Learning" at ECML/PKDD-2009, Workshop on "Uncertainty, Knowledge Discovery and Similarity in Case-Based Reasoning" at ICCBR-2009, Workshop on "Uncertainty and Knowledge Discovery in Case-Based Reasonin"g at ECCBR-2008, Workshop on "Preference Learning" at ECML/PKDD-2008, Workshop on "Uncertainty and Fuzziness in Case-Based Reasoning" at ICCBR-2007, Workshop on "Uncertainty and Fuzziness in Case-Based Reasoning" at ECCBR-2006, Symposium on "Fuzzy Systems in Computer Science 2006", Special Session on Ranking, Multi-Label Classification, Preferences at GfKl–2005, Special Track on "Fuzzy Methods and Models in Learning from Data" at FUZZ-IEEE-2004, KI-2004 Workshop on "Soft Computing for Information Mining"
- Member of PC: NIPS-2015, KDD-2015, ICML-2015, ECML/PKDD-2015 (AC), IEEE DSAA-2015, IDA-2015, IJCAI-2015, NIPS-2014, ICML-2014, PAKDD-2014, NIPS-2013, ECML/PKDD-2013 (AC), AAAI-2013, IJCAI-2013 (SPC), ICML-2013 (SPC), ADT-2013, IDA-2013, EUSFLAT-2013, IFSA-NAFIPS-2013, SSCI-2013, NIPS-2012, IEEE ICDM-2012, ICML-2012, ECAI-2012, IEEE CIBCB-2012, IDA-2012, FUZZ-IEEE-2012, SDM-2012, SMPS-2012, PAKDD-2012, FOIKS-2012, ICPRAM-2012, CIKM-2011, GFKL-2011, DS-2011, IDA-2011, ECSQARU-2011, KSEM-2011, EUSFLAT-2011, FUZZ-IEEE-2011, AAAI-2011, SSCI-2011, IICAI-2011, FQAS-2011, ECG-2011, SUM-2011, ICNC-FSKD-2011, EUROFUSE-2011, ICAIS-2011, AILog-2011, ICML-2010 (area chair), ECML/PKDD 2010, IEEE ICDM-2010, ECAI-2010, CIKM-2010, ICCBR-2010, FUZZ-IEEE 2010, PPSN-2010, KSEM-2010 SMPS-2010, ICAART-2010, MRC-2010, FoIKS-2010, IEEE CIBCB 2010, IEA-AIE-2010, ICDM-2010, KES-IDT 2010, SNPD-2010, NMR10-UNC, IICAI-09, IEEE ICDM-2009, ECML/PKDD 2009, ICML-2009, IDA-2009, ICCBR-2009, ICDM-2009, IFSA/EUSFLAT-2009 (track chair), ECSQARU-2009, ISCIS-2009, KI-2009, SUM-2009, MLD-2009, KEOD-2009, CEC-2009, GWEM-ES-2009, MLD-2009, MLRTA-09, WI-2009, ICML-2008, ECML/PKDD-2008, FSKD-2008, GFKL-2008, SUM-2008, DaWak-2008, ECCBR-2008, ICDM-2008, SMPS-2008, MRC-2008, PPSN-2008, CIBCB-2008, ECSQARU-2007, ICCBR-2007, ECML/PKDD-2007, FUZZ-IEEE-2007, SUM-2007, Eusflat-2007, ICNC-FSDK-2007, Eurofuse-2007, NAFIPS-2007, MRC-2007, ECAI-2006, ECML/PKDD-2006, FUZZ-IEEE-2006, ICNC-FSDK-2006, DaWaK-2006, FuzzyDays-2006, ISFUROS-2006, PKDD-2005, ECSQARU-2005, FUZZ-IEEE-2005, FSKD-2005, ICDM 2005 Workshop on Computational Intelligence in Data Mining, FUZZ-IEEE-2004, ICMLC-2004
- Co-guest editor of a special issue of the Information Sciences journal on "Discovery Science" (2015), the Machine Learning journal on "Preference Learning and Ranking" (2013), a special issue of the ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE JOURNAL on "Representing, Learning, and Processing Preferences: Theoretical and Practical Challenges" (2011), a SOFT COMPUTING secial issue on "Soft Computing for Information Mining" (2007), and guest editor of a FUZZY SETS AND SYSTEMS special issue on "Fuzzy Sets in Knowledge Discovery" (2005).